Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Oldsmar Flea Market

Where else can you get 3 pounds of Stone Crab Claws for $20 bucks?  The same guy also sells Jumbo Shrimp, I'm not talking about the jumbo's you buy at the grocery store.  No, I am talking about small/pygmy lobsters!  The fish-monger sells Little-neck and medium-neck Clams for $3 bucks a dozen.  All his products are fresh and locally sourced.  They travel all of about 100 miles which makes them especially appealing because you are supporting local businesses, not a faceless, profiteering Corporation based out of Vietnam.

My favorite local fishing store is there as well, Fishing Supply Liquidators.  I have gotten to know all the guys and they have gotten to recognize me as well.  I always buy something from them, usually it is more than a little.  I just can't seem to say no when the price is right and they always throw free stuff in my bag.  Whenever they get something new in, that works, I usually get an email or a notification of some kind.  






There are several Farmers Markets inside the Oldsmar Flea Market that sell all kinds of local produce for next to nothing.  Picking up a pound of Tomatoes for a buck is normal.  Watermelons and Pumpkins fight for attention, but are usually eclipsed by by the Orchids that are placed towards the front.  Brightly colored fruits and vegetables are placed with care and priced to move, with hollers beckoning passers-by to sample their items.  Samples abound, and are gobbled by children or adult alike.  



Sparkly watches and baubles line tables, like little soldiers vying for inspection or perusal.  Cheap Chinese knock-off's glimmer and twinkle under the fluorescent lights.  Necklaces and pendants compete for attention just like the shiny watches, everything that glitters line the aisles. There are things for sale that make no sense and things that appeal only to small children.  Antiques and their collectors are scattered throughout the Flea-Market, all of which have quality wares which appeal to some people, like myself.






The snack shops and food vendors all have something different to offer.  All the food is good and filling.  There is not a lot of variety any more, there used to be Greek, Mexican, Spanish, Chinese, American, BBQ, and several others.  Unfortunately the vendors of ethnic origin are becoming less and less.  I'm sure this is cyclic and will not be the norm from now on.  When we first started going years ago, there was much more variety, but just like anything else there are natural ebbs and flows.  I'm sure by this time next year, there will be several new vendors offering something wonderful from their indigenous country.





The boutique businesses though, are the backbone of Oldsmar Flea-Market.  In my opinion, these people with the drive to create a unique product are the reason the flea-market exists.  Their only outlets are the flea-market and the people that visit it and the internet.  These people create stuff in their homes or garages or backyards and bring it to Oldsmar with the hopes that people will find it just as impressive as they do.  The artisans that make up this group fabricate and bring to life all sorts of things that never occur to me until I walk past their merchandise.  The gourmet dog biscuits, to the magnetic jewelry, the giant geodes; if you have thought it or dreamed it, Oldsmar Flea Market probably has it.







The pet stores are interesting as well.  I avoided the reptile place.  I don't do cold blooded critters, no matter how loyal someone tells me they are.  Even some places that don't sell pets exclusively, sell  puppies, kittens or something cute and cuddly behind the counter.  I do like the place that sells birds.  I could never afford the $1,000+ birds they sell, but I sure do like hanging out with them.  They have a Cockatoo that is super friendly, and a Blue Macaw with a lot of personality.  



Go check out the Oldsmar Flea Market.  It's every Friday, Saturday and Sunday.  It is open by 8 a.m. on the weekends and that is usually when the best stuff comes out from the Garage Sale crowd.  There are over 200 booths inside the flea market itself, there are 100+ outside as well.  With all the farmers market stuff and books and crap to wade through, it's tough to do the whole thing in one day, unless you have a plan. Wandering aimlessly through chotzski-choked aisles is an adventure for the senses that you will not regret or forget.

4 comments:

  1. Flea Markets are pretty sweet. Last time I visited a flea market was a long time ago, when I was searching for a porcelain teapot for a lamp I was making out of teacups , saucers and a much needed Teapot for the center. I never found one :( but I know I enjoyed walking around checking out all the stuff. I always rummaged through the records and checked out the puppies:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Flea Markets are always the best way to find some really unique stuff for cheap. I went to my first Flea Market recently and I am hooked! Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't been out to that Flea Market in years but thanks for posting. It reminds me that christmas is coming up and you can find some unique and specific stuff at the market. Also, it's very light on the wallet, which makes it even better! Cool reading and like the pictures, very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you all check it out.

    Note.Worty,,, I posted the picture of the record shop for you.

    Coupon Queen,,, Congratulations! There's nothing better than rummaging and people watching.

    SSG Jones,,, If you go to the Flea Market, you wont have to worry about someone having the same present as you.

    ReplyDelete