Monday, November 12, 2012

Waders

I have to take a moment and say thank you to Waders.  You keep me warm and dry when the wind and water could suck the heat out of Satan's soul.  The weather change is bringing down the water temps which can result warm water hypothermia.  I know I have shown symptoms of it over the last couple times I have been out.

I recently bought a pair of Frog Togg's chest waders.  I bought the boot foot and not the stocking foot, I want to stay warm and dry with no exposure.  The stocking feet are fine, but I like to spend several hours in the water and exposure is exposure.  Heat loss occurs faster in water than on land, so being half submerged in cold-water without protection, really limits the fun you can have.

The water locally is now down to the high sixties.  The Gulf will drop more than that, hopefully it wont drop as low as it did when we had the big Snook kill 2 years ago.  I think the water got down into the 40's locally and stayed there for about 10 days.  That type of cold water kills the susceptible fish, just like it would kill a human that's not paying attention.

I am looking forward to being able to wade deep again.  I have pretty much been limited to the waist deep water, once I submerge my chest, I am only good for about 45 minutes.  If I stay only waist deep, I am good for a couple hours.

Hitting the flats at 6, when the air is 50 degrees and the water is 68.  You are begging for trouble if you are not properly dressed.  I'm pretty sure the only reason I'm not sick yet because I have some great luck, and that's it.  I leave the water when tying knots becomes to difficult.  The loss of finger dexterity is what I use to gauge how cold my core temp is.  I'm really glad my Mom doesn't read this.

I can't wait to get back out there again.  I can't wait to be chest deep, chasing the ledge again.  It will be good to chase the bigger fish that lurk along the ledge and the deeper pot holes.  Tight lines and good luck.

* My new waders work great!  Being able to get those extra few few feet deeper and further makes all the difference.  I tried them out on Friday the 16th and had a banner day.  The trout were out in full force, I had several baits torn in half.  The large Ladyfish are passing trough Tampa too, I had a couple over 24 inches bend my rod.  The spooky Manatee came back again, he breached about 15 feet from me and killed the fishing briefly.  As soon as he reversed his direction, the action picked right up again.  It's great hanging around for hours and enjoying myself instead of freeeeeezing.  Tomorrow morning the 18th, I am heading out at dawn.  Good luck and enjoy your weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment