Thursday, October 4, 2012

Ethical Responsibility

Honing a craft, whatever it is takes time.  It takes dedication, time and perseverance to move beyond the difficult or seemingly impossible.  Progress doesn't happen overnight, in my particular sport, fly fishing, progress is measured in etiquette.  I'm not saying the type of etiquette that you would apply to your significant other or your mother.  The type of etiquette I am referring to is universal respect.  Respect for your quarry, your equipment, your presentation, respecting the take and releasing the fish as quickly as possible without injuring it.  There is an ethical responsibility inherit to every angler, to preserve the fish for the next individual or the next generation.  The better one becomes at fishing, the more he becomes at catching and not fishing.

A couple of things got me thinking about ethical responsibility.  Strange as it may seem, Fahrenheit 451 is actually what got me initially thinking about ethical responsibility.  The line that has stuck with me is, "The good writers touch life often.  The mediocre ones run a quick hand over her.  The bad ones rape her and leave her for the flies."  Since I am a writer and my craft uses symbols to convey a message.  It is my responsibility as a writer to choose my symbols carefully and to put forth every effort to make sure my writing is both pleasant and correct in conveying my message.  It is my responsibility to make sure I do not confuse the reader or to unintentionally bury them in subterfuge or bullshit. I take my responsibility very seriously.  I would never engage in deliberate deception or present a fraudulent idea and claim it as fact or my own.



Matching The Hatch by Ernest G. Schwiebert talks about "On Ethics and Philosophy ASteam"  His approach to honoring wildlife, the stream and living harmoniously is applicable to everything sport related.  His ethical concepts about fly fishing can be readily adopted to real life and in my case, writing.

"In that gradual and satisfying progress that one makes from the status of tyro to expert, he invariably experiences a subtle transformation from fisherman to angler.  This metamorphosis is complete when he acquired such a fine degree of fishing skill that he realizes how seriously he can deplete his sport (152)"
"The angler  does not need dead trout in his basket to feel satisfaction.  He has long since proved to himself that he can catch trout, and needs no proof for his companions.  He does not fear the ridicule of others, for he knows he could fill his limit if he wished.  He counts as his highest reward the number of fish put back into the stream for another day.  He may bring in fish now and then if someone has expressed a desire for them, but he loves his fishing far too much to spoil it with wanton killing of trout (153)"
My writing like my fishing is evolving from novice to experienced.  The more I write the greater my ethical responsibility to my readers.  It is my responsibility to give credit where credit is due and annotate anything that comes from outside sources.  I take my responsibility seriously.  My craft is honed through practice and error. Just like a fine set of fishing skills can deplete a fine pool.  A lazy or lackadaisical approach to writing will quickly turn people off or may land the writer in hot water. However, if I have a finely tuned, articulate voice that comes through in my writing and is perceived as genuine.  I have not only done my job, but I am cultivating an audience and creating my ethos.

Just like I do not need to bring something home every time I venture to the water.  There are plenty of times when I fish by myself  that I would never consider taking my camera for fear of playing the fish for too long. I do not need pictures of every fish I catch, or video of every take or fight. I don't need a pile of trophy's to call attention to my writings.  I would rather have the knowledge that I put my best effort into my work and I know that everything is as correct as I could get it.  For me, I take a certain amount of pride in giving credit to others.  I mean to be honest, if it were not for their initial effort, I may have never been privy to the information. It is important to give credit where credit is due.

Fly tying is another example of giving credit where credit is due. Being ethically responsible to the creator of some of the flies is as important as their creation.  The men that took the time to study fish habits and how they forage for food need to be given the credit they deserve.  It is through their dedication and reverence for the fish that has elevated fly fishing to a craft rather than simply a hobby.  I'm not saying that other methodologies for fishing are lacking in technique or rigor. I am simply implying fly fishing employs a unique set of styles and methodologies that are nearly impossible to perfect.  The amount of time spent on creating a pattern that regularly deceives fish and works is an accomplishment that needs to be commended.  Variations of a designs and amalgamations of ideas are natural, but if proper accolades can be paid to the creator, every effort should be applied to do so.


No comments:

Post a Comment